Recipe: Free-Range & Organic!
Free-Range Turkey Shepherd’s Pie with Organic Yams: A wonderful reworking of tradition!
- 2 large organic yams-chopped
- ½ cup organic sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup (#2 grade ‘Amber’, ideally)
- Dash of ginger powder
- Dusting of cinnamon for top
- 1 cup organic green beans-chopped (in summer, you can sub with asparagus!)
- 1 cup organic carrots-chopped
- 1 cup organic corn
- 3 capfuls organic olive oil
- 1 lb. package of ground, free-range Turkey
- ¼ cup butter
- Handful organic herbs: sage, thyme, lemongrass, black pepper, sea salt
To make it:
After you have ensured all your veggies are chopped, fill a large pot with salted water. Bring it to a boil. Throw in the chopped yams and simmer until they are well-cooked and mash-able. Mash them up, adding sour cream, maple syrup, butter and spices ingredients and set aside. Leave the cinnamon until you are all ready to put it into the oven.
In butter, with the spices, lightly sauté, but do not brown the turkey. Set it aside.
Steam the carrots, corn and green beans lightly and then set aside to cool a little. Mix up all the veggies with olive oil.
Get a deep pan, such as a smaller lasagna-type pan or a soufflé dish. Begin by pushing the turkey into the bottom of the pan. Add the carrots/corn/bean mixture on top of that. Finish up with the mashed yam topping and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake at 350 C for 25-30 min, or until the top of the yams is browned.
Health Note: this recipe is high in Vitamin A, Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium. Perfect for cooler months.